|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=021207564954133ca1be930d36a8aae0 profile.php?mode=register&sid=021207564954133ca1be930d36a8aae0 faq.php?sid=021207564954133ca1be930d36a8aae0 search.php?sid=021207564954133ca1be930d36a8aae0

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Wrist Watch discussions » Vorticwatches launch Military wrist 4992B
Vorticwatches launch Military wrist 4992B
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:19 am Reply with quote
pocwatjim
Chapter Member

Click on "Watch the full Launch Video" Military Edition

https://vorticwatches.com/pages/military-edition-info

Looks a bit pricey, but who knows? People to like Military and there is a big market for WW2 stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
pocwatjim
Chapter Member

This is the release day for this watch.
looks like he got some good coverage from Fox News

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6102391489001/#sp=show-clips

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

pocwatjim wrote:
This is the release day for this watch.
looks like he got some good coverage from Fox News

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6102391489001/#sp=show-clips

I like this program and I suggest that the chapter donate 1000. to the new building project....................what do the members think????????

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Neilywatch
Chapter Member

Jon -

I suggest caution when donating.

Sam Cannan does not have the best reputation.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:25 am Reply with quote
pocwatjim
Chapter Member

The case go to court Monday 2-19-2020.

Sorry about the link, I read it but when I tried to copy it , they want you to Register, I wouldn't do that, so this is what is a summary.

Hamilton v Vortic Lawsuit Update

Separately, you may have heard, or made aware of our lawsuit with the Swatch Group. If not, I'll try to catch you up briefly. I'm hoping to send more details to our whole newsletter list soon in response to all the questions I'm receiving.

Long story short, the Swatch Group (the world's largest watch conglomerate), owns the trademark on the name Hamilton. They don't like that we salvage and restore antique Hamilton pocket watches and turn them into wristwatches. We've been arguing about it since mid-2015. The case goes to trial this Wednesday, February 19th, in New York City.

We feel confident in our ability to defend ourselves and believe the law is on our side. Everything concerning your Military Edition watch will be fine. Anything that happens with the legal issue will not impact our production of this product. I wanted to make sure you heard this information from me.

There chances look good to win, against the Swatch group.

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=8f9e6553-7516-42e5-8e3b-fc6f63121d77&utm_campaign=Military%20Edition%20Production%20Update%20%233%20%28PTmLRV%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Military%20Edition%20-%20First%20Edition%20Customers&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJwb2N3YXRqaW1AYW9sLmNvbSIsICJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIlAyaGVxVSJ9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:52 pm Reply with quote
pocwatjim
Chapter Member

How'd It Go In Court?

Thank you everyone for your support after we made you aware of our 5 year legal battle that recently became news. The outpouring of emails and social media messages was extremely helpful and we can't thank you enough! Now we can answer this question of "how did it go!?"

Here's our official statement released on social media after the trial.

Don't know what we're talking about? Check out our last email or this story by Rescapement for details.

The bottom line is that now we must sit and wait until the judge sends us her decision.

Until then, we keep doing what we've been doing for the last 5 years of this legal battle... making watches. Everything is going very well at the shop (besides a couple software issues with our CNC machines and flu season), and we're just here making watches.

A lot of you asked how you can help, and we'll answer that question in the next email. For now, we thought we could share what people are saying about the case and a post-trial interview with R.T. about the specifics.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:42 am Reply with quote
pocwatjim
Chapter Member

I received my watch Saturday and was very happy to open it.

I have helped R.T. Custer & Co acquire many of these watches over the last several years and I have one of the 1st 10 of them.

https://vimeo.com/418666961/1560646752

Click on the screen and then on Large view

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:48 am Reply with quote
PJR
Chapter Member

Pretty serious packaging. Looks like a nice quality product.
The Lawsuit VS. Swatch....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:57 pm Reply with quote
pocwatjim
Chapter Member

This is the latest news on this, if you have been following it. I hope the copied links work ?

Thanks, Jim Haney

but first we wanted to quickly answer a frequently asked question: "How's the lawsuit coming?"

We received this question even more frequently last week during our Independence Day t-shirt sale, and through the launch of the pocket watch, as we received more press and became top of mind for some.

Long story short, we went to trial in federal court against the Swatch Group on February 19, 2020, and still have not received a ruling from the judge. In the meantime it's all business as usual for us here in Colorado. Unfortunately, being sued by the world's largest watch company isn't the worst thing that's happened to us so far in 2020...

Here's a few links to stories about the case if you want to learn more:

BizWest Story (the most in-depth story):

https://bizwest.com/2020/04/07/david-versus-goliath-a-fort-collins-watchmakers-legal-battle-against-a-giant-swiss-enterprise-2/

Rescapement Blog (written by a legal professional):

https://www.rescapement.com/blog/hamilton-v-vortic-heads-to-trial-where-were-at-and-how-we-got-here

Beyond The Dial (written by a veteran watch industry journalist):

https://www.beyondthedial.com/post/the-curious-case-of-hamilton-international-ltd-v-vortic-llc

A quick quote from that last story to answer the "why haven't I heard about this?" question we sometimes get:

"I had pitched the story to many publications, and only International Watch was willing to go to print with it. The rejections I received came in the form of rather frank explanations that Swatch Group, which owns Hamilton, was too close to ad revenue sources."

The bottom line is, we've fought through all of this and, even in the face of all things 2020, Vortic is doing extremely well in every way. We can't thank you all enough for supporting us by asking these questions, buying watches, and just following along.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:19 am Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

I like the packaging, although when the packaging costs looks like it is worth as much as the watch it may be overkill. Anyway, I like it.

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:43 am Reply with quote
gemeyr4
Chapter Member

I got mixed feelings about this company. I'm happy to see watches saved and have a new life.
I certainly would not call vortic an engineering and manufacturing company. They repair and recase watches.

Hard for me to see how this is a sustainable, money making endeavor for Vortic.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:36 pm Reply with quote
pocwatjim
Chapter Member

You may be right, however TIME will tell.

They do make(manufacture) the Cases which feature Screw threaded bezels with custom crystals,Stems, Crowns & Seals.

He has done well since a 2014 start up and is doing very well with the Military watches.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:41 pm Reply with quote
gemeyr4
Chapter Member

True Jim, they are printing cases. Do you like these printed cases? Any upside to printing them vs machining them other than it sounds cool? I do like the old look they get on some of their cases.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Bryan
Chapter Member

It appears he is only having the Titanium cases printed, probably to avoid expense of machining complete.

When you really boil it down it becomes apparent how little value add they perform; the vast majority of components are outsourced. Their core competencies appear to be design / engineering / sourcing / assembly / marketing. This may be the right position if / when the market becomes saturated and he needs to pivot to his next venture.

He is definitely more of an entrepreneur than a horologist but a good guy nonetheless and someone I'd like to succeed, regardless of what he does

NAWCC#132532
Vorticwatches launch Military wrist 4992B
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » Wrist Watch discussions